What happened to old school Halloween costumes? You know the ones where you reach in your closet and come up with whatever you can to be something? Isn't that part of the fun?
Well according to those expensive Halloween stores, no! You must buy expensive.
Expensive costumes, we have those! Usually I purchase them second hand ... but you know what happened? We went to an early trick-or-treat event and my kid saw another boy in a garbage truck costume. He looked at me and said, "Mamma I want that one!" I went up to the mom and complimented her. I mentioned that my son told me he wanted one, her response, "Yeah, good luck!" Rude!
Anyway, I spent the next morning looking at garbage trucks online. My kiddo wanted a recycle truck so I found a picture he liked and went to work in my garage. The whole thing took me about 2 hours and it is made from boxes we had set to go in the recycle bin and some paint I had hanging around the house. So here goes:
2 Cardboard boxes
1. Paint the cardboard boxes in the desired base color.
2. Fold the side in and hot glue them down for extra strength.
3. Cut the second box to fit over the first box. This will create the front end of the truck. Hot glue that on to the main box.
4. With left over pieces from second box, cut 4 wheels and paint black. Hot glue these on to the truck.
5. Paint your final designs.
6. Let dry.
7. Use suspenders to attach truck to kiddo.
YAY! RECYCLING HOUSEHOLD ITEMS FOR RECYCLE TRUCK HALLOWEEN FUN!
See homepage to find out more about Mommy McD!